The 95 Express Lanes began tolling in December 2014 and introduced new options for faster, more predictable trips on the one of the most congested stretches of highway in Northern Virginia.
During the first few weeks of operations, the 95 Express Lanes consistently provided a reliable trip at highway speeds to our customers and extended the benefits of HOV-3+ travel. Additionally, many customers are traveling with an E-ZPass® and E-ZPass® FlexSM properly mounted in their vehicle and taking advantage of the direct connection to the 495 Express Lanes.
The 95 Express Lanes are off to a strong start, with traffic and revenue figures in-line with expectations. Here are some key statistics on the Lanes performance between December 29, 2014 and January 31, 2015:
- 95 percent of weekday 95 Express Lanes customers are traveling with an E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex*
- 33 percent of weekday trips are HOV-3+ carpoolers who enjoy a toll-free trip at all hours of the day*
- More than 200,000 unique customers have traveled on the 95 Express Lanes with an E-ZPass or E-ZPass Flex and have received a faster, more predictable trip on the Lanes
- Nearly 30 percent of 95 Express Lanes customers have also taken a trip on the 495 Express Lanes during this timeframe
- The average dynamic toll price on the 95 Express Lanes is $4.01
- Average weekday toll revenue of nearly $103,000 and average weekday trips just over 37,000**
* Workdays only, includes exempt vehicles
** The first quarterly traffic and revenue report with 95 Express Lanes data will be issued in April 2015
To ensure a smooth experience on the Express Lanes, drivers should remember these simple tips when using E-ZPass on the Lanes:
- Fund it: Make sure your E-ZPass account is in good standing with sufficient funds in your account
- Link it: Make sure license plate is linked to your E-ZPass account
- Mount it: Make sure your E-ZPass is correctly mounted in your car near the rearview mirror
The Express Lanes seek to provide customers with a consistent option for safe and reliable trips on I-495 and I-95. We continue to monitor customer feedback during the early days of the 95 Express Lanes and ask drivers to submit any feedback about the Express Lanes at: CustomerCare@ExpressLanes.com.