The vast majority of customers travel on the Express Lanes with a valid E-ZPass® properly mounted in their vehicle and enjoy the convenience of the Express Lanes. However, there are some drivers using the lanes without a valid E-ZPass properly mounted in their car. We want to make sure these drivers know why they might receive a toll invoice and what to do when a toll invoice arrives.
In order to avoid toll notices and ensure a smooth trip on the Express Lanes, it’s important to keep the following in mind:
Make sure you have an E-ZPass before you use the Express Lanes.
E-ZPass is available at 75 convenient Northern Virginia retail locations including Wegmans, select Virginia DMVs and Giant Food Stores or at one of the E-ZPass Customer Service Centers; online; or by calling Virginia E-ZPass at (877) 762-7824.
Before your trip on the Express Lanes:
- Make sure your E-ZPass is correctly mounted in your car
- Make sure your E-ZPass account is linked to your license plate
- Make sure your E-ZPass can be read through the windshield
- Make sure your E-ZPass account is in good standing with sufficient funds in your account
- Ensure your address is updated and correct with the DMV
- Consider setting your account up with auto replenishment to avoid having to remember your balance
Go to E-ZPass to:
- Open an E-ZPass account
- Add funding to your E-ZPass account
- Address issues with your E-ZPass device
- Update account information such as your license plate number and credit card information, etc.
Go to Express Lanes to:
- Pay a missed toll
- Dispute tolls on the Express Lanes
- Pay an Express Lanes toll invoice
- Report on-road issues
After you travel on the Express Lanes:
- If you travel on the Express Lanes without an E-ZPass, take care of your missed toll online via Missed a Toll within five days of traveling on the Express Lanes without an E-ZPass to avoid penalties or additional fees
- If it’s been more than five days since your trip on the Express Lanes, you will need to pay your toll online, via phone at 1-855-495-9777 or by mailing your payment to P.O. Box 28148, New York, NY 10087