We want your experience with the Express Lanes to be smooth both before and after your trip. While the vast majority of customers travel on the Express Lanes with a valid E-ZPass® properly mounted in their vehicle, there are some drivers using the lanes without an E-ZPass – or using an E-ZPass incorrectly – and there are consequences for not following the rules of the road.
To avoid receiving a toll notice in the mail, keep these simple tips in mind before your next trip on the Express Lanes:
- Make sure you have an E-ZPass before you use the Express Lanes
- Make sure your E-ZPass is correctly mounted in the car
- Make sure your E-ZPass account is linked to your license plate
- Make sure your E-ZPass account is in good standing with sufficient funds in your account
- Consider setting your account up with auto replenishment to avoid having to remember your balance
Travel on the Express Lanes without an E-ZPass? Take care of your missed toll within five days of traveling on the Express Lanes without an E-ZPass to avoid penalties or additional fees via Missed a Toll.
Have an E-ZPass® FlexSM? Be sure to only switch your E-ZPass Flex to HOV mode if you have three or more people in your car. Virginia State Police enforce the 495 Express Lanes for HOV violations. Under Virginia law, a judge may issue a civil penalty of $50 for a first offense and $250 for a second offense.
Want to learn more about how the Express Lanes enforcement process works? Check out the enforcement infographic.